Mount Pleasant datacenter project update
Microsoft is developing a new datacenter campus in Mount Pleasant, Wisconsin. Microsoft is currently focusing on developing the southern half of the site (south of the existing transmission lines and Lamparek Creek). The northern half of the site is planned to be used as construction laydown area and is a future area for datacenter development.
July 25, 2023 – Construction to begin shortly
Microsoft has received permits to progress into construction and our contractor partner Walsh Construction will soon begin site preparation and grading.
The anticipated construction schedule is shown below, which is dependent on subsequent permit approvals.
- July 2023 – Fall 2023: Site preparation, clearing, and grading
- Fall 2023 – Fall 2026: Building development, which includes foundation work, steel erection for buildings, equipment testing, and completion of power projects.
- Late 2026: Southern datacenter buildings complete, and preparation begins for operations.
Construction activities are expected to take place Monday through Saturday between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m., with occasional work on Sundays if the weather creates project delays. Construction crews will work to minimize inconvenience and disruptions. We appreciate your patience as crews work to safely construct this new datacenter.
We are committed to keeping the community informed about project progress and will post updates for subsequent phases of construction to our blog at https://aka.ms/WisconsinDC
Questions? Contact us at WisconsinDC@microsoft.com or leave a message at 1-608-535-3569.
June 30, 2023 – Pre-construction activities are beginning
We are beginning initial site preparation activities for the southern half of the site. Crews are onsite installing perimeter fencing, creating construction entrances, delivering equipment, and other pre-construction activities.
Our pre-construction partner, Walsh Construction, expects to begin test pile work as early as July 10, 2023.
- These activities will take place during regular work hours between 7 a.m. and 5 p.m. and there will be no pile-related work carried out during the weekends.
- You may see a crane, drilling truck, and crews onsite installing and monitoring the test piles, which will help us understand the soil geology to inform our building foundation design.
- We estimate completion of the testing work before the end of August.
June 22, 2023 – Community info session recap
Microsoft hosted a community information session about the planned datacenter campus in Mount Pleasant on June 22, 2023.
Microsoft appreciated the opportunity to talk with around 150 community members who participated in the meeting and visited stations to talk with subject matter experts. The meeting stations focused on an overview of datacenters, initial conceptual plans for the Mount Pleasant datacenter campus, construction, sustainability, and Microsoft’s partnerships in the community.
The meeting included remarks from Shirin O’Connor, Corporate Vice President for Microsoft; Trustee Nancy Washburn from Village of Mount Pleasant; and County Executive Jonathan Delagrave from Racine County.
In talking with community members, Microsoft staff heard comments and responded to questions about jobs, supplier hiring, water use, Lamparek Creek, construction timeline, and community partnerships. The Microsoft team was also joined by our community partners Root Pike WIN and gener8tor who also engaged with attendees to share about their efforts.
If you were unable to attend the community info session, you can also view the boards shown at the meeting.