Skip to main content
Skip to main content
Microsoft in your community

Understanding energy use and sustainability investments at the Cheyenne datacenters

In each building at every campus and datacenter, sustainability is a key priority for Microsoft across all phases of a project— from site selection to design and construction to operations and decommissioning.  Microsoft datacenters, including our facilities in Cheyenne, are key to our sustainability goals.

Carbon negative by 2030

Microsoft has been carbon neutral across the world since 2012 and commits to being carbon negative by 2030.

  • For our datacenters in this region, Microsoft is procuring approximately 55 percent renewable energy from solar, wind, and hydro resources.
  • Globally, Microsoft datacenters use fossil fuel generators for backup power and account for less than 1 percent of our overall emissions.
  • In specific regions, Microsoft is piloting running backup generators with renewable blend, cleaner-burning fuels, and is also piloting the replacement of datacenter generators with long-duration batteries
  • The new datacenter being built in Cheyenne, are designed to earn LEED Gold certification.

Water positive by 2030

We’re committed to reducing our consumption and replenishing water in the regions we operate.

  • Microsoft uses outdoor air with direct evaporative cooling at our Cheyenne datacenters.
      • This method of cooling uses outside air and zero water for cooling when temperatures are below 29.4 degrees Celsius, reducing water for cooling to less than 5 percent of the year.
      • The system is highly efficient, using less electricity and a fraction of water used by other water based cooling systems, such as cooling towers.

Zero waste by 2030

At our facilities, we reduce and eliminate waste by reusing materials, source reduction, and recycling. All waste is treated with environmentally responsible methods.

  • Microsoft has a goal to achieve 90 percent diversion of datacenter operational waste by 2030.
  • In 2021, our Cheyenne datacenter diverted 94.3 percent of datacenter operational waste from landfills and incineration.
  • Globally, Microsoft datacenters reuse 78 percent of our end-of-life assets and components; the remaining 22 percent of materials are recycled.

Find more information in our Environmental Sustainability Report